While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Status Report: Week Twenty-Two

Week Twenty-Two – The Stats

Weekly Wordcount: 13,257 words (target is 19,124 words per week)

Average: rubbish (1,894 words per day)

Most productive day: Thursday 29 May, 3,049 words

Least productive day: Friday 30 May, 794 words

Year-to-date: 394,732 words (23,301 words behind target)

Shocking week. Monday (bank holiday) was spent at St. Andrews. Tuesday was spent recovering from the long weekend (and the return to work). So the word counts were already dire before our friend Laura from NZ arrived on Friday. She’ll be staying with us till she finds a place of her own…

Not having a room of my own to write was a bit of a pain before, but I can see I’m going to have to do something drastic like wake up in the wee small hours if I’m going to write anything focussed during the week.

Oh, and we went to the Edinburgh Sevens Saturday and today (Sunday) with a flock of other New Zealanders. I say flock, because, well, a picture tells a thousand words:

(NB: I didn’t actually count those “thousand words” towards today’s word count… I wish I could have.)

Crazy weekend weather-wise. Yesterday was a scorcher from the moment we stepped outside at 8:30am to when we got home after six. When I say scorcher, I mean for Edinburgh’s standards. It was definitely in the twenties centigrade. Felt like a lot more in those white boiler suits. Then today it rained… all day.

But New Zealand won the tournament (quite comfortably). Both DJ Forbes and Chad Tuoro made a point of coming over and thanking the sheep for their support. Or in Tuoro’s words, “You guys are awesome, eh.”

Sometimes it pays to be a sheep.

No comments: